Sunday, December 2, 2007

Project Based Learning

I would like to take the curriculum for each of my classes and make them project based and more relevant to real life scenarios. I've started doing this little by little, but it takes up a great amount of time. I have a few thoughts - I think that teachers need more time somewhere built in - otherwise our whole life becomes teaching and planning. If you are dedicated and want the best for your students, teaching is your life and you have little time for the things that you enjoy doing outside of teaching. Second, I graduated high school 10 years ago. Things were not THAT much different then as they are now, as far as careers students were pursuing - yet there was not so much pressure on teachers (that I know of) to change how they teach. I think that it is very important for teachers to teach students what they will need to know for the workplace, but teachers also need the support and time to do so. It is overwhelming to try to differentiate to reach every student, teach in a 21st century manner, and deal with many IEPs for students. How do you do it?

2 comments:

megfritzphd said...

Little by little, Natalie. I'm cleaning out my inbox today and found your new blog address. I have to make note of it in my reader. Hear are some things that I found in a new book "Web 2.0 new tools, new schools" by L. Schrum that I thought you'd be interested in:
"The possibilities of using Web 2.0 tools in studying mathematics are almost unlimited" (p. 91). The authors go on to cite several different educators: D. Kuropatwa and his blog: D. Kuropatwa, Ms. Armstrong, math forum, blog 1 and blog 2 I hope you find these interesting! Also, I've been updating my blog: mfritz blog and also have gotten hooked on twitter. My screen name is mkm420fritz if you sign up! Enjoy!

Darren Kuropatwa said...

Hi Natalie.

You might be interested in seeing how I used a PBL approach last semester. I called it "Developing Expert Voices." Here is a slidecast of a workshop I gave about it. I've modified it slightly this semester and am thinking of evolving it further next semester.

What kind of project work are youdoing with your classes? I'd love to see what you do too. ;-)

Cheers!
Darren